Sunday, February 13, 2011

Improving the human connection through technology

I have mixed feelings about this subject.  I do think this technology has improved the human connection, but at what risks?  There are so many amazing ways we have grown as a human population in that we have access to learn about things we never could have known as fast or as up close as we do with this computer technology.  On the other hand I think it is way too much information and is adding stress that is hurting us in other ways.  It can be way too much of a distraction from interactions of the heart of face-to-face humans being in the world.  If my daughter thinks it is ok to write me from another room on a chat to talk to me about really deep personal issues rather than come and sit with me face-to-face, there is somewhat of a problem.  If it takes mining chemicals in Africa that risk the life of poor people so that we here can have computers, then there is a problem.  If it is true that indeed the low frequency sound waves of information from the towers that are needed for wi-fi and all of this is affecting our health in adverse ways, then no, this is not worth it.  I, for one, needed to jump on this bandwagon of computer technology in order to work, in order to live, as a student, and for my children to get their work done for school, but I would not be opposed to dismantling the whole darn thing as well. The human connection is at risk, and maybe it has been for a long time, but who knows what this level of communication will all work out to be.  Maybe it is a gift and a curse.  It just is what it is for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment